Potabi Systems B4-1.0A Release
This release is a beta release, and is not recommended for
production use. It is also before the creation of CoreNGS,
and is still FreeBSD at its core. This changes in later
|Potabi Systems - DESKTOP EDITION - Beta-3 1.0A Release|
|Release Date||November 28, 2021|
- Redesign build systems
- Added text editor: kibi
- Added other general software: fd-find tealdeer rustscan
- Moved desktop from Lumina to Ayras (a Lumina desktop fork)
- Changed desktop logos
- Removed the IRC applet from the desktop
- Changed some desktop style
- Removed V compiler from default inclusion
- Created ports for Potabi software
- Added NCURSES
Postponed to 2.x release due to concerns, delays, or general issues:
- Change shell to Ion Shell
This release is NOT production ready
TESTING SOFTWARE ON LIVECDEdit
This is beta software that isn't designed for common use beyond basic testing.
No automatic login system is added, on boot you will be greeted with a login prompt saying "Potabi Live User", please simply click "Log In" and it will login to a MATE session as a non-root user.
To become root user run "su - root"
Use BSDCONFIG and BSDINSTALL commands as root (su - root) in LiveCD to test anything, and install. Sometimes issues will break in a way that don't make sense, and are "unfixable", often solvable with restarting.
While this install guide is not good, we will be working on proper installation steps, for now, there is this:
WARNING: INSTALLATION DOESN'T PROPERLY FUNCTION YET. WHILE YOUR SYSTEM WILL INSTALL FREEBSD, IT DOESN'T INSTALL POTABI. THIS IS NEITHER MISTAKE NOR DESIGN. THIS IS JUST THAT WE HAVEN'T WORKED ON INSTALLATION TOOLS YET. IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIMENT A LITTLE WITH GRAPHICAL POTABI, RUN THESE STEPS UNTIL YOU EXIT BSDCONFIG, AT WHICH POINT THE SYSTEM IS READY FOR LIVE-SYSTEM USE. THIS BUG WILL BE IRONED OUT IN MORE REFINED EDITIONS OF POTABI.
- Open terminal
- Login as root
- Run "bsdconfig" and use arrow keys down to "Network Management" & hit enter
- Go down to option 2, Network Interfaces & hit enter
- Enable DHCP & save/exit
- Exit bsdconfig
This release we still have not updated the installation systems, meaning they still install FreeBSD. We advice not installing for a proper Potabi system, as it will not function as intended. Just to reiterate, this is HIGHLY unstable software, expect breakages and major errors.
- Installation of Potabi through BSDInstall just installs a normal FreeBSD 13.0 System
- BSDCONFIG might break when modifying network interfaces, disabling DHCP and never allowing it back on. This is currently only fixable by restarting the live system
- Lumina has some outdated software packages, but oh well